Kanab is Your Hub
Abra Kanabra – Kanab, Your Hub to Linger Longer!
By Dixie Brunner
Make Kanab the hub for your southern Utah/northern Arizona vacation plans. Modern conveniences and close proximity to four national parks and a multitude of other scenic sights, make it the logical base for your travel adventure.
Linger longer in Kanab! Here are some suggestions on how to spend quality vacation time!
• Visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
• Eat at one of Kanab’s great restaurants. The town is rapidly gaining popularity as a foodie destination!
• Take a tour of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. It is the largest no-kill animal sanctuary in the world! Then stay another day, and volunteer to help with the animals!
• Book a river rafting trip down the Colorado River for next year.
• Hike one of the many local trails.
• Ride a bike on local scenic byways.
• Challenge your photography skills, and try to capture the red rock and intricate geological patterns of nearby mountains.
• Visit Bryce Canyon National Park.
• Take a dip in Lake Powell to cool off.
• Visit Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park.
• Take in the wonders of Zion National Park.
• Get a historic glimpse back into this area’s past by visiting Pipe Spring National Monument.
• Experience Toroweap, the quiet Grand Canyon view.
• Do the Michaelangelo thing, and try to capture scenic views on an artist’s canvas.
• Hot day? Head for cool, refreshing Cedar Mountain. Cool forests, astounding scenic views and Navajo Lake beckon you.
• Want a taste of the Old West? Take in movie or filmmaking areas such as Parry Lodge or Little Hollywood Museum – see western sets and movie memorabilia.
• Stop by Moqui Cave and see the largest collection of dinosaur tracks in southern Utah. While you’re there, check out the extensive fluorescent mineral display, as well as a large collection of Native American artifacts.
• Visit Kodachrome Basin State Park. The strange and amazing rock formations will make you think that you’ve been taken to another planet.
• Tour the historic Heritage House on Main Street in Kanab.
• Stop in at the Old Rock Church in Mt. Carmel and learn the fascinating history of this area.
• For a delightful night out, take in a show or old western at the Crescent Moon Theater in Kanab.
• Check out Cedar Breaks National Monument. The red rock spires resemble Bryce, and for those with stars in their eyes, it was recently named a dark sky destination.
• Take an off-road guided tour to see some incredible sights.
• Are you a golfer? Take in nine holes at the scenic Thunderbird Golf Course in Mt. Carmel.
• Stop by the visitor center of the Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument.
• Visit the Kane County Information Center to get additional recreational ideas.
• Read the local newspaper – the Southern Utah News – we work hard producing it every week! Out of state and online subscriptions are available.