Heritage House & Heritage Museum
By Dixie Brunner
For a trip back in time, stop by and tour the Heritage House, located at 100 South and Main Street in Kanab, or the Kanab Heritage Museum, just a couple blocks away at the bend across from Denny's Wigwam.
Kanab's All-Women City Council
The Heritage House was built in 1894 for Henry Bowman by John Rider. It is on the National Register and has been restored as it was when it was first built. It is open from 1-5 p.m. M-F in the summer months for tours.
The Heritage Museum is located in the old Kanab City Library building. It was destined to be demolished before local historians fought to keep it intact. Today it houses many interesting artifacts and history from the early days of the Kanab area.
One featured exhibit is the country's first all-woman town council, elected in 1911, with Mary Woolley Chamberlain as mayor (see photo above).
In the basment of the Heritage Museum is the Juniper Gallery. This impressive gallery features some beautiful artwork from around the area.