Kane County Tid Bits
By Dixie Brunner
• The “Kanab Index” was the first newspaper printed in Kanab in the late 1880’s by Elmer Johnson.
• Kanab had the first all-woman city council and mayor in the world around the turn of the century. This year is its 100th anniversary, and there will be reenactments throughout the year to celebrate.
• Actor Joel McCrea took time out between scenes of MGM’s Outriders, on location near Kanab in 1952, to be appointed as deputy sheriff of Kane County by Sheriff George Swapp. Swapp said McCrea was the first personality of the entertainment world to be deputized.
• Which of the national parks was once named Mukuntuweap National Monument? Answer: Zion National Park.
• The first car to arrive in Kanab was in 1909 from Salt Lake City after three full days of travel. Less than a dozen people here had seen an automobile before.
• Though spelled incorrectly, what nearby 11,307 foot formation was named for its resemblance to the profile of “the great commoner,” a favorite of Utahns? Brian Head (for William Jennings Bryan).
• The United Order was practiced in Kane County in 1874, lasting almost 20 years in Orderville. Mormon leader Brigham Young felt it would be a solution for the economic distress of the people; making the Saints more equal, resulting in better individual values from the self-sacrificing way of living. If a family wanted to gain admittance to the Order, they had to donate all their holdings and to make the locality a permanent home. The Order worked well for several years.
• Kane County was named for “the friend of the Mormons” Thomas L. Kane, a non-Mormon man.
• Kane County contains 4,373 square miles, 3,718 of it is BLM land. The state owns 437 square miles, while only 218 square miles is privately owned. The land size of Kane County is larger than the states of Delaware, Rhode Island and the District of Columbia combined.
• John Wayne’s favorite horse got struck by lightning and killed east of town.
• The Disney blockbuster movie John Carter was filmed here. The community was treated to a premiere of the movie in March, where those involved in the production were honored.